Friday, March 7, 2014

OFF THE BEATEN PATH

     So, this year instead of making a New Year's Resolution that I could not keep.   I have made one that I could keep and that was to read books from different genres and authors that I have never read before.

     This journey is really exciting, because I am finding what I like and don't particularly care for in books and love discovering new authors instead of the safe ones.  My last read I really adventured out and read a satire.

My Imaginary Jesus
by: Mike Mikalatos

     It is a satire of a man's journey to find the real Jesus.   It wakes you up to see how we try to fit Jesus into a neat little box and make Him fit our needs, wants and desires instead of really seeking His face and His will for our lives.   It was funny at times and really soul searching at others.   It was a neat read that made me think of what imaginary Jesus' have I dreamed up for myself in my life.   Am I following the real Jesus or just one that fits what I need at the time.   Do I allow others and situations to control me or am I really allowing time and space for God to work in my life?   I really enjoyed Mike's search for the real Jesus especially after a loss and how he was angry and questioned God in the midst of the circumstances.   But, when he really allowed the Balm of Gilead to be applied to the hurting place then he was able to find the real Jesus.  Experience healing and true joy in his life.

    The question that I found myself asking is:  What imaginary Jesus am I following or am I truly following the real Jesus?   Or is it what fits "my" needs at the time?  I enjoyed reading this book and discovering lots of truths in it mixed up with a funny and soul searching story.  So I have this one question to ask.   Which Jesus are you pursuing?  The real Jesus or an Imaginary Jesus.

     I gave this book a five star rating on Goodreads.   It grabbed my attention, kept my attention and was very thought provoking too.

    Enjoy your cup of Joe along with your favorite book or your favorite Bible Study and dig deeper!


God Bless,

Tia